December 1, 2010

Post-Thanksgiving Thanks

Back in February, our family suffered a tremendous loss when my wife's father, Rick, passed away. Being a military family, they (Dad, Mom, my wife, her sister and brother) moved around often, making friends wherever they lived. One of their closest family friends is James Colvin.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Colvin (while shotgunning beers in the cold of midnight, my bro-and-laws began referring to him as "Mr. Jim") when he drove down for Rick's funeral. Yes, the circumstances under which we met were emotional for all, but through the pain I recognized that Mr. Jim is one of those people I will always be proud to have met. Further confirming this sentiment is how highly regarded my wife and her family hold him. Mr. Jim attended our wedding this October, making our special day all the more special.

The other day, I ran across a Muskogee Phoenix article on Mr. Jim. What an asset he has proven to be for my wife and her family through the years. And what an asset he has been to our country! Many thanks to staff writer, Keith Purtell, for a great article on a great man.

Life has its own way of getting people together. Thankfully, it continues to introduce me to remarkable people. I'm sure you all have met people recently who have added significance to your life. If you have, I would love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment